Sunday, February 1, 2009

Brent Everett Bottoming

Senegal: December 2008 - The decision to leave

I walked on tiptoe in a world full of fairies. The more you do, are called Fatou. There are many Senegalese women and girls that I met that bear that name. We have entered on tiptoe, tiptoe in and I came out. The tips of my feet, with all the respect that you know, they tried to take me into a different world, because of customs and traditions completely away from those you meet in Milan. There are customs in Milan?

The Senegalese women are beautiful. They wear clothes elegantissimi e dai colori più vivaci. Non si limitano a indossarli, lo fanno con classe, una classe che non ha eguali nel mondo. Il loro portamento, lo sguardo, il modo di porsi verso gli altri, non posso paragonarlo a nessun´altra donna incontrata nella mia vita.

Questo è uno dei primi ricordi del mio primo viaggio in Senegal. Sono partita il 19 dicembre 2008. Sono partita da sola. Mi sono preparata parecchio per affrontare questo viaggio, ho letto molto, tra libri e forum su internet, ho progettato molto, eppure ogni mio piano è andato a farsi benedire.

E´ questo che succede ogni volta che si decide di intraprendere un viaggio in solitaria. E´ questo che succede se il viaggio in solitaria si decide di farlo in an African country. That 's what happens if the African country is Senegal.



beginning in October 2008. E 'in October, and are completely undecided about whether to redo a ticket to Kenya and finally going to know a new country. West Africa was introduced by my friends was from my Senegalese, Burkinabe, Ivorian, Togolese living in Milan. But not only. The books have done a great job. And so the desire to meet even the West African has made her feel.

The first idea that comes to me is to leave for Burkina Faso. The association was preparing a Watinoma own field work from December 19 onwards. I decided to contact the association and I do send all the information on field work. And 'now virtually decided. Leave for Burkina Faso and arrange with the other volunteers, the festival of New Year's "The Moon of the Sahel to Koubri.

I continue to learn more about Senegal, Dakar on, what I give away a trip to Senegal. And I start to talk about it with some enthusiasm by the friends of the park, Senegalese living here in Milan. Some take it for granted that my choice has already been done and begin to give me the mobile numbers of their relatives, asking a favor and go visit their families once their land. Some never see their families for years. Years in which they are not able to return home for several reasons.

Come poter dire loro "non parto, vado in Burkina a organizzare un festival?"

Ci penso attentamente e mi dico che dato che parto da sola, e ho già più contatti di chi di solito parte con un viaggio organizzato, non sarebbe male questo primo incontro con il Senegal. Sarebbe un viaggio tra le famiglie. Un viaggio tra la gente. Un viaggio come piace a me.
Quando io viaggio, non ho mai in mente di seguire un itinerario ben preciso. Nella fase di programmazione, cerco di capire quali sono le città o i luoghi per i quali vale la pena fare un pezzo di strada in più, e li metto in lista.

Ma non è obbligatorio rispettare la lista. Ad ogni modo, abbandono La Luna del Sahel e mi dedico a un sogno chiamato Senegal. Preparo la mia lista. I giorni saranno 22 circa. In quattro e quattr´otto ho già dato un nome di un luogo a 12 delle mie giornate. Questo significa che con una media di un giorno si e un giorno no, potrei far saltare i miei piani, riuscendo comunque a vedere tutto, e incontrare tutti quelli che devo incontrare. Ne parlo con un amico e gli dico che la decisione è presa, che ho trovato i voli e che sono pronta a buttarmi nella mischia. Si, la chiamo mischia fin dall´inizio, non sapendo che fosse il nome più azzeccato per definire quel che poi incontrerò nella capitale Senegalese.

L´amico decide di regalarmi i voli per il mio compleanno. Si, non è una bugia. E´ tutto vero. Il mio compleanno sarebbe stato il 3 novembre, io ho il mio regalo già a fine ottobre. E che regalo. Credo che gli amici che aiutano a realizzare i sogni siano veramente pochi. E soprattutto gli amici che ti regalano sogni senza chiedere nulla in cambio sono rari se non unici. Si accettano regali del genere? Certo che si.

Da tempo ero in contatto su Facebook con dei ragazzi di Dakar che gentilmente si erano offerti di ospitarmi nelle loro case dietro giusto compenso. Mi ritrovo dunque a fine ottobre con un biglietto andata/ritorno, e un´ampia scelta di case in cui andare.

Nei miei peregrinaggi digitali, mi ritrovo sul sito Dakar ça bouge. E mi innamoro immediatamente della casa di Marie Mbaye, una donna francese che secondo la descrizione, si è trasferita in Senegal decades ago to follow his heart and his passion for Africa. So I choose to book a room in his mansion and after a series of emails we get in confidence, I send a deposit of 100 € and not think about it anymore.

I have a ticket, the list and a home. The Villa Marie is located in a suburb of Dakar called Guediawaye. When I tell all my friends with my choice reactions are different. Some people criticized me for not having chosen to go and stay with his family, some people criticized me because the neighborhood is one of the most infamous and take risks especially whirl alone, there are those who I complains because "in the suburbs you take the disease, "is that I criticized because" traveling alone and you go well in the suburbs, some people criticized me and nothing else. But there are those who ask me what I'm going to do.

Yeah, what I'm going to do? ideas in my head are always quite clear. What I'm going to do in a city that does not know, I do not know if I will host, who I know only a few addresses and a few photographs, of which I know some inhabitant who left to come to Europe to chase the dream? Already the Italian dream ... I want to speak now of the Italian dream?

(to be continued ...)

0 comments:

Post a Comment